Thursday, March 7, 2013

At this age, who couldn’t use a hearing aid

Last year, when my daughter Marianne visited me, she sometimes would say something while in another room, and I would only comprehend every third word, requiring me to constantly shout, What?” or “Wait till I’m in the room with you to talk.”

Never one to be indirect, Marianne told me I really ought to think about getting a hearing aid. Most of the time, in personal conversations, I’ve experienced no problem, but sometimes phone conversations or understanding all of the lines in a theatrical production can prove difficult.

When I had my hearing tested, I was told that my hearing loss was “age appropriate,” whatever that means and that a hearing aid would be beneficial. (Well, of course they think so, they are selling them.) However, I have been doing some serious research on the subject and here’s what I found out:

About two-thirds of adults age 70 and older have hearing loss. After age 80, the percent jumps to 79 percent. Read More.

No comments:

Post a Comment