Monday, June 15, 2015

Letter: Stratford School Nurse Says Goodbye to District

Editors note. I came across this beautifully written letter on the Stratford Patch and wanted to share it with you. ----TG. 
Written by Helen Levine
Dear Parents/Guardians of Stratford School District Students,
I have worked for the past 10+ years as a school nurse between Eli Whitney Elementary School and Chapel Street Elementary School. I recently made the decision to leave my position as a school nurse and work in another area of nursing…one that will complement my graduate work. Leaving the district was not an easy decision.
I want to take a moment to thank the parents that I worked with for trusting me with the care of their children. Each health office experience, no matter how routine, taught me something valuable. Children bring spiritual gifts to those who are open to accepting them. I have been graced with many over the years and will cherish them as I move on.
My hope is that I have done well by all of you. I believe that the relationship between a nurse and her patient/student/client is a sacred one. I hope I have honored that belief.
To those of you that I have disappointed or let down in some way, please accept my apology. It’s never a good feeling to know you have been less than you could have been when someone needed you to be more. Those difficult situations taught me valuable lessons. I learned to be a better listener, less judgmental, kinder. And beyond all else, I learned the value in saying I’m sorry.
I will miss seeing your children every school day. I will miss the energy of the new school year (Kindergarten especially) and the excitement of knowing summer break is right around the corner. I will miss the students coming into my health office fretful and at times, crying, and leaving smiling; stronger than they knew they could be.
I am grateful to have held my position for the years I was given. I will carry the memories with me for quite some time.
With Gratitude and Humility,
Mrs. Levine, RN-School Nurse, Stratford School District

No comments:

Post a Comment